The Sumerian physicians’ work over the years brought to existence through trial and error real alkalis that have unusual characteristics to combat the effect of pains in the stomach. The first antacid was known to be a mixture of milk peppermint and some carbonate.
The Sumerian physicians over time came to discover sodium carbonate to be the primary carbonate that gave milk and peppermint its highest effectiveness. Contemporarily, antacids work through a reaction which involves counteracting or neutralizing the positive ions by producing negative ions into the mixture.
A digestive juice known as pepsin is released in the process, and it is an irritant that causes the sensation. Although the Sumerians had no idea of this concept Sumerians work on antacid relief worked on the same basis.
Around 1880 the magnesia became a competitor to baking soda. It provided more assistance to baking soda; Connecticut came with an idea of mixing necessary soda with magnesia which was used as a laxative then. It was a good innovation adopted by the Sumerians.
The main difference was that magnesia was used to replace milk and even the inventor of the notion acknowledged the Sumerians. The antacid that was produced in 1873 is now referred to as the milk of magnesia, and it is still used till today.
What are Antacids?
As a non-specialist would say, “anti-acids” anti-means to be against or to oppose; antacids from the words are known to be against acids; they are a group of medicine that is known for their action to neutralize or counteract with acid content in the stomach. They are also known to subdue acid indigestion.
Antacids are effective acid reflux cases which cause heartburn; the usage of antacids does not have any adverse effect. Examples of Antacids are Aluminum hydroxide, magnesium trisilicate, and magnesium carbonate. Antacids can be mixed with other medicine e.g. simethicone to reduce the level of flatulence, other medicine such as alginate that helps protect the gut lining.
- The most popular kind of antacids known is the baking soda it may not be in the pure natural form it mined in the shape of the ore trona. A mixture of this and water helps In neutralizing acids I temporarily lessen the effect
- Banana is also a natural form of antacids. Either it is fresh or dried
- Apple cider: Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with half cup of water relief digestion and decrease the heartburn sensation
- Ginger: This is one the earliest cure is known for heartburn it also helps in the treatment of nausea.
- Aloe Vera is a form of coolant, and it diminishes heartburn this natural substance has long history for the cure of heartburn in Europe
- Turmeric helps to inhibit the buildup of acids and also stimulate digestion
- Chamomile tea this is also an antacid that contributes to neutralize acids
Heartburns are caused by the weak lower esophageal sphincter that allows acids and enzyme to flow into the esophagus most cases of heartburn can be easily treated with a natural supplement. Usage of synthetic drugs can carry side effect, so it was important to use natural supplements.
The most active natural antacid substances are Baking soda, Chelated magnesium, and potassium. Herbs such as ginger, Fiber in meals are also useful. Yogurt contains probiotics that aid digestions, some fresh vegetables are potent in the reduction of stomach acid.